Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Update on Adam

Hi all...sorry I haven't posted in a while, but it's only because there really hasn't been a whole lot to post about. Adam has frequently been going on extended and/or overnight training operations, which means that his sleep schedule is completely off. It also means he hasn't had a lot of time to use the phone or the internet. From what he says, more and more soldiers arrive in Kuwait daily, and the base is completely overloaded. Right now, he shares a giant tent with about 50 other guys, so he says he's looking forward to getting to their base in Iraq where it should just be two guys to a room in barracks-style living. Other things that have happened due to the huge influx of soldiers this past week involve waiting in line for everything and a completely jammed internet system. The only place on the whole base where he can use the internet is in the Starbucks, which he has to stand in line for about an hour and a half just to get into. This has led to a shortage of communication on his end (although he said he finds it amusing to sit down and read a few days' worth of emails from me in a row because he gets to watch my emotions change depending on the circumstances of the day), which has been a little frustrating for me. It's not that I'm worried about his safety, per se, I just miss him terribly and even a few lines of an email are enough to brighten my whole week. It's also tough because many people who are deployed are getting to use the internet to video chat and whatnot every day, and right now he can't even send me a picture or anything because it's such a slow connection. We're hoping that maybe once they get to Iraq he will have better internet so we can be in touch more often.

On my end of things, my internship winds down this week, and I'm really sad to see it end. I've enjoyed my time in the Office of Student Engagement very much, and hope to continue working with them over the next year. Next week is my last week of my ACE practicum as well, and then it's back to work in the Career Center for the next year. I can't wait to get back to all of my CC peeps and start thinking about GARP (eek...already?!?!). In other news, my camera finally came today from Amazon, so hopefully I'll be able to start posting some pictures of Brady, the house, etc. for those who don't live in Columbia and would like to see more about these things.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a great week. Enjoy your hump day tomorrow!

D

No comments:

Post a Comment