Sunday, August 2, 2009

Moved to Iraq

Adam got in touch with me yesterday to let me know that he flew to Iraq in the middle of the night and is now living...get this...literally 300 feet from the building where he spent his last two months during his last tour in Iraq. He said it was a pretty surreal feeling, because not too much has changed, which is probably one of the reasons they are back there.

Things that are good in Adam's new digs:
*Only two guys to a room, not 50 to a tent (he's rooming with Brandan, his old roommate from Morgantown)
*Personal AC units for each room
*Real toilets (no more portapotties)
*More reliable internet
*No more hour and a half long lines to use things like the phone and internet

Things that are not so good in Adam's new digs:
*No Starbucks

No, no, I'm kidding. When I asked him that question early, that was really the only thing he could come up with, other than the fact that now they're in a combat zone, which they weren't in Kuwait. He said overall it's a big improvement. One thing they haven't gotten yet is their big toughboxes, which is where a lot of his things are packed. They do have the bags that they took on the planes over from the US, so he has some things with him, but he's missing his XBOX, which we know is oh-so-important! He hasn't been told what their first mission will be, but he said it's sounding like it's going to be "building something," which is shocking considering that they're a carpentry/masonry unit ;-) Overall, he says he's doing well, and he misses everyone a lot, and to send his love.

1 comment:

  1. Dawn,

    I'm so glad to hear he made it ok and is in one of our old areas. I have been thinking of him and he is in my thoughts. Let me know when you get an address. I have a friend burning movies for me so that I can ship them over to him. I'll throw is some other goodies too!

    Jason

    Thank you for keeping this blog going!

    ReplyDelete