Sunday, May 16, 2010

Great dog quote

The past week has been a rough one for me and Brady. He had a cutaneous histiocytoma above his right eye, which is basically a lump/cyst that will go away on its own if allowed time to heal. Unfortunately, he must have scratched it open at some point because it became infected and ruptured on Monday night. Thank God the vet had late hours on Monday night because they took him in and performed emergency surgery to remove it and clean out the infected tissue. They got it in time so that the infection hadn't spread to his eye yet, which would have been disastrous. He had to wear the head cone thing and take pain meds, and he ended up having a really bad reaction to the anisthesia and/or meds and Tuesday he was like a zombie. Wouldn't eat, drink, or move, and I was feeding him ice chips to make sure he didn't get completely dehydrated...he didn't stop shaking all day and would recoil every time I touched him. It was awful, but thank goodness he's now well on the road to recovery. He will get his stitches out in another week as long as everything has healed properly, and gets to stop wearing the cone after tomorrow. I'm sure he'd be happy if he understood it :-)

Anyway, all of this has made me realize just how much I love this dog. He's totally like my kid and seeing him in so much pain was absolutely devestating. In celebration of his continued recovery, I wanted to share one of my favorite dog quotes. Hope you enjoy:

"He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.) When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant. His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever — in case I need him. And I expect I will — as I always have. He is just my dog." -Gene Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment